On January 29, the Salary & Benefits Negotiating Team and the University Administration entered mediation that lasted for seven hours. In the end, mediator Colin Taylor awarded the following.
- Term of Agreement: July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2019.
- General Wage increases of 5.5% over five years as follows:
July 1, 2015 1.0% July 1, 2016 0.5% July 1, 2017 1.5% July 1, 2018 1.5% June 30, 2019 1.0%
- Economic Stability payment as provided in the Letter of Agreement entitled “Economic Stability Payment” (attached hereto and marked Appendix “A”) on the dates as follows:
July 1, 2016
July 1, 2017
July 1, 2018
June 30, 2019
- The carry forward of Unused Professional Development funds is provided in AD 10.11 5.02 will be amended to provide that effective January 1, 2016, unused Professional Development funds in a calendar year may be carried forward to the next calendar year to a maximum of $3,500.
- The University shall amend the current Vision Care coverage to allow the cost of eye examinations up to a maximum of $100 in a 24-month period within the current $500 vision care coverage. (Please note, it may take a few weeks for this to be set up administratively).
- The University and APSA recognize that a fair and equitable system of total compensation is important for the successful recruitment and retention of professional and managerial staff. The parties also recognize that while salary makes up an important component of total compensation, the various other benefits and entitlements, which are provided to APSA employees, form an integrated system of total compensation.
The University and APSA will establish a Joint Compensation Review Committee (JCRC) consisting of three representatives each from the University and APSA, to consider and make recommendation(s) towards the development and implementation of a total compensation package.
See APSA's intent of the Committee here: http://apsacentral.ca/news-item/ensuring-fair-and…
- In the event that the Joint Compensation Review Committee cannot agree on any issue and has arrived at an impasse or where the Committee has failed to meet any deadlines, the dispute shall be referred to Colin Taylor (mediator/arbitrator).
Colin Taylor shall hold meetings with the parties within 7 days of being appointed. If he is not available within 7 days or such longer period agreed by the Committee, another mediator/arbitrator shall be appointed within 7 days.
Where the mediator/arbitrator cannot resolve the issue or issues within 3 days of meetings, the mediator/arbitrator shall make a final and binding decision.
- The University shall allocate funds for the implementation of the recommendations of the Joint Compensation Review Committee as follows:
July 1, 2016 $220,000
July 1, 2017 $115,000
- Effective July 1, 2018, the University will allocate one-time funding of $150,000 to the Joint Compensation Review Committee for the mutually agreed work of the committee.