Each month, our Advocacy Committee answers your questions about the AD 10 policies (aka, your terms and conditions of employment.)

Wanda Dekleva

Here is the Advocacy Committee Chair, Wanda Dekleva, to answer some of your questions about workplace issues.

Questions? Submit them anonymously here. This question will be answered in a monthly advocacy corner issue. For an immediate answer, please contact APSA.

I was in a car accident and went on sick leave for a few months. I recently returned to work, and now I'm being told that I owe the University a bunch of money. What should I do?

When you're going through a trauma like a car accident and medical leave, the last thing you want to worry about is your insurance and your financial situation.

It sounds as if SFU is making a subrogation claim against your ICBC settlement. Subrogation is when a third-party (in this case SFU) can reclaim payments made to you after your insurance settlement has been completed. In this case, as SFU has paid you in the form of sick leave benefits, they can make a subrogation claim to recoup these monies. It's very important to realize, however, that the legitimacy of a subrogation claim is highly case specific.

As there is no subrogation agreement in place between SFU and APSA, it is important that you contact APSA and your legal counsel supporting you with your ICBC claim before you agree to sign any documentation sent to you by the University.

You may also request an APSA representative if you are going to any meetings regarding this issue with SFU's long-term disability provider, Manulife, to ensure that your rights are safeguarded.

You can always contact APSA to discuss your situation further. Talking to APSA is 100% confidential.